FAQ for Sales

  • Do I have to pay upfront?

    No absolutely not!  This is wrong and we believe in the traditional way, you pay the agent when the job is done.  So you simply sign a contract to instruct us and then pay us £850 when the property is sold (complete with the solicitor, not marked sold on our site).

  • What is your commission?

    We charge £850 set commission.

  • Are there any extra charges?

    No, we are pleased to say everything is included.

  • Are there any hidden clauses?

    The only clause is that we have sole agency for 3 months.  This means only we market the property for 3 months.  This ensures we sell it for you and are incentivised to do so!

  • How long will you market the property?

    We market until it is sold and complete.

  • Do I have to do the negotiating?

    No, we do all of this for you.  You do not have to do anything.  Ours is a fully inclusive service.

  • Where is your office?

    We have an outsource office in Manchester, this keeps costs down.  We have a small physical office in St Albans.  However, the reality is that the agent that works with you will most likely work from home or on the go most of the time.

  • What if I want to cancel?

    You can cancel and we can by giving 2 months notice in writing.  But nobody has yet!

  • Is a for sale board extra?

    Unlike many other online agents, this is not extra.  It is included in the price.

  • How will I know whats happening?

    We will send you a weekly report and our agent will contact you.  We progress things quickly and carry out viewings promptly, to get the property sold fast.

  • Do I get told about viewings?

    Yes we tell you, mostly by phone call unless you prefer otherwise.

  • What documents do I need?

    EPC stands for Energy Performance Certificate, which provides a SAP (Standard Assessment Procedure) rating for the energy efficiency of a property from A (very efficient) to G (very inefficient). Each certificate lasts for 10 years unless major renovation work is carried out on the property.

  • Do you cover Herts and Bucks?

    We cover some parts of Herts and Bucks around the north west quarter of London.

  • Do you just cover London?

    We cover North West London.  We do this, as we want to do a good job and not dilute our service too much.

  • Why do I have to provide proof of ownership and ID?

    Unfortunately, property fraud has vastly increased in recent years.  Tenants or strangers pose as owners and attempt to sell a property that is not theirs.
    Therefore, we ask for ID and proof of ownership to protect you from this.
    We know it seems overkill, but it is done to ensure nobody takes your property off you.

Follow me on Twitter









Suite 2A Blackthorn House, St Pauls Square
B3 1RL

Back to top of page

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.